Monday, June 4, 2012


Things You Do Wrong on LinkedIn
I’m not certain of the original intent of LinkedIn. I do recall vividly how I was first introduced to this professional networking site. A Product Manager I know sent me an email and told me I should check it out. I was on vacation at the time with my kids at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. We were staying in one of the Worlds of Fun cabins. As usual I had my laptop and checked it out. This goes back several years and at the time there were not that many insurance professionals on LinkedIn. It was interesting enough that I created a profile and sent some invites out to a few professionals I knew that were also on LinkedIn. As I spoke to others it seemed as though the majority were on LinkedIn to stay in touch with other professionals with similar interests and to share ideas.

Oh how LinkedIn has changed. Obviously LinkedIn has had something to do with that. However the fact remains it is a great tool for sharing ideas with other professionals. However like it or not it has become a powerful tool for career networking. And yes, there are right ways and wrong ways to utilize this tool. And do remember it is just another tool in your networking tool box. Because I’m all about giving credit where credit is due verse simply reinventing the wheel, I’d like to point to what I found to be a very good piece in Forbes.com regarding the proper use of LinkedIn. Any questions or thoughts, please share.

8 Things You Do Wrong on LinkedIn by Molly Can, Forbes.com


Scot Dickerson, CPC | President
Capstone Search Group

No comments: